On Friday 9th December 2022 Minister of State for Public Health, Wellbeing and National Drugs Strategy, Frank Feighan TD will visit St Kieran’s Community Centre, Tormey Villas Athlone, to launch Sláintecare Healthy Communities Westmeath. The Sláintecare Healthy Communities areas in Westmeath are the RAPID areas of Athlone & Mullingar.
Introduced nationally in 2021, the Sláintecare Healthy Communities programme is led by the Department of Health and implemented at a local level by the Local Authority, the HSE and a wide range of community partners. This is a cross-Government initiative to deliver increased health and wellbeing services in 19 areas of greatest need across Ireland.
The launch of Sláintecare Healthy Communities Westmeath is the successful culmination of close collaboration between many partners. These partners include the Department of Health, the HSE and Westmeath County Council.
The launch will take place at 2.30pm in St Kieran’s Community Centre, Tormey Villas Athlone with a number of guest speakers including Cathaoirleach of Westmeath County Council Cllr. Aengus O’Rourke, Minister of State for Public Health, Wellbeing and National Drugs Strategy, Frank Feighan TD, Mr. Des O’Flynn, Chief Officer, HSE Community Health Organisation Midlands Louth Meath and Ms. Geraldine Lacey, CEO, Youth Work Ireland Midlands.
The event will highlight the Sláintecare Healthy Communities programmes that have been established in the Sláintecare Healthy Communities Westmeath targeted areas. The Healthy Community programmes aim to support people’s wellbeing within the community and provide better access to a range of services needed to help improve and promote healthier lifestyle behaviours. This work is supported by the Sláintecare Community Enhancement Fund which provided €250, 000 to deliver projects that will assist and impact on the health and wellbeing of people in Sláintecare Healthy Communities Westmeath areas.
The projects include:
• Ashdale Woodlands Grove - Community Hub
• Sarsfield Square, Athlone Dry Room Project
• Willow Park, Athlone – Outdoor exercise equipment, Landscaping & enhancement plans for Community Centre.
• Battery Heights, Athlone - Linking to Services Project.
• Coosan Men’s Shed – Raised Beds Project.
• Athlone Family Resource Centre, Disability Access Lift Project.
• Athlone Garda RAPID - Community Minibus Project.
• Youth Work Ireland Midlands – Grange Community Hub.
• Youth Work Ireland Midlands – Dalton Park preparation works for Community Hub project under LEADER funding.
The work is also supported by Westmeath County Council, Sláintecare Healthy Communities Local Development Officer Brigid Geoghegan and HSE Sláintecare Healthy Communities Coordinator Anthony O’Prey.
Sláintecare Healthy Communities Programmes Include:
• Stop Smoking Advisor – Offering one to one support and access to free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (patches, lozenges, gum, and mouth-spray) to those who wish to quit smoking.
• We Can Quit – A friendly and supportive peer led stop smoking group delivered locally for men and women. It offers free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (patches, lozenges, gum, and mouth-spray) to help people quit smoking and stay quit for good.
• Making Every Contact Count – Empowering local health professionals to deliver brief interventions and advice for patients to support healthy behaviours.
• Social Prescribing – A Social Prescribing link worker works with individuals to reduce social isolation and link them into community activities and services.
• Parenting Programmes – Triple P (Positive Parenting Programme) aims to promote positive caring relationships between children, teenagers, and their parents and to support parents in managing common behaviour and development issues through enhancing parents’ knowledge, skills, and confidence.
• Healthy Food Made Easy – Community delivery of healthy cooking and nutrition programme. It offers insight into nutrition and cookery courses that helps people to change to a healthy diet, plan meals on a budget and make easy to cook meals.
All are welcome to attend the event, please confirm your attendance by emailing email@example.com
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 01/12/2022