During the winter months Westmeath County Council monitor road conditions and in the event of frost and snow the County Council implement a winter gritting programme based on an agreed schedule of roads adopted by the elected members.
Tips for Driving in Snow & Ice
- Please exercise extreme care on all routes and avoid unnecessary journeys - never assume any road surface is treated!
- Remember that it takes longer to stop in icy conditions than on a dry road. Therefore drive slowly and allow extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin. Select a low gear when travelling downhill especially if through bends
- Manoeuvre gently, avoid harsh braking and acceleration
- Watch out for black ice, especially in sheltered/shaded areas on roads, under trees and adjacent to high walls
- Check tyres to ensure minimum tread depth of 1.6mm and correct tyre pressure
- Drive with dipped headlights on
- Use fog lights in foggy conditions. But don’t forget to turn them off afterwards.
Check out the Winter Gritting Webpage here for more information.
For further advice visit the Be Winter Ready website.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 25/10/2023