Westmeath Sports Partnership and Athlone Regional Sports Centre are seeking to engage a Community Sports Hub Coordinator to facilitate the development of a new Community Sports Hub.
This post will be to develop the Community Sports Hub, which will be based in Athlone Regional Sports Centre, in partnership with Westmeath Sports Partnership and the local community. The successful candidate will implement a comprehensive plan to promote, attract and develop sustainable programmes and promote the facility as a venue for community sport and physical activity participation.
The main target group will be the socially excluded areas in the surrounding community but will also target older adults, women, people with disabilities etc.
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in sports/physical activity and community development with experience of working in the area of sport/fitness/health an advantage.
This initiative is aligned to national and local development plans and Community Sports Hub is funded by Sport Ireland through the Dormant Accounts Fund.
Please send cover letter outlining your suitability for the role along with CV to email@example.com
Closing date for Applications is 5pm Friday 16th April 2021.
Contract Type: Initial 12-month temporary contract (subject to satisfactory completion of three-month probationary period). The Hourly rate will commence at €13 per hour before moving to €13.50 following satisfactory completion of three-month probationary period. Some flexibility of hours will be required for evening and/or weekend work to accommodate the service needs, for which time off in-lieu can be taken. (hours to be added).
Location: Based in Athlone Regional Sports Centre. Reporting to the Athlone Regional Sports Centre Manager and Westmeath Sports Partnership Coordinator.
The role of the Hub coordinator will be to facilitate the sustainable development of the Community Sports Hub programmes in Athlone Regional Sports Centre. Objectives in achieving this include:
• Developing partnerships and coordination between relevant local community based and statutory organisations serving the area.
• Develop and deliver participation programmes to key target communities of schools, youth groups, clubs and organisations
• Increase participation and the opportunities for participation.
• Resourcing the local community through sports training and education programmes
• Increasing overall physical activity participation in the designated areas and for identified target groups
• Making physical activity more accessible to local people
• Help to maximise the sports and recreation potential by promoting existing events and developing new sport events
• Promote the associated programme facilities and amenities as venues for sustainable physical activity
Reporting to Westmeath Sports Partnership Sports Co-ordinator and Athlone Regional Sports Centre Manager on an ongoing basis, the Hub Co-ordinator will have responsibility for the implementation of current and future development programmes of the Hub;
• Consultation with the key stakeholders with regard to developing the Westmeath Community Sports Hub as a home for sustainable local sport and physical activity
• Carry out research and needs analysis as appropriate.
• Programmes & events – develop and support a comprehensive range of participation programmes and events to provide opportunities for targeted people in the area to try out new activities with a view to creating sustainable participation.
• Encourage and foster opportunities for programme development and new initiatives by working with partner organisations.
• Initiate and maintain close contact with voluntary and community-based groups and organisations
• Support the development of sustainable clubs and groups based at Athlone Regional Sports Centre.
• Link with the Sports Partnership Team, local and national programmes and WSP Strategy – ensure the programmes link effectively and efficiently with other relevant WSP, and ARSC activities maximising the impact for all.
• Athlone RSC are currently engaged with EXwell regarding the operation of the EXwell programme at Athlone RSC and there will be a requirement to coordinate these activities.
• Equipment management – manage the purchase, maintenance, storage and shared use of all equipment relating to the Community Sports Hub.
• Training and leadership development – develop a comprehensive training and development plan to address the sustainable development of activities, volunteers and clubs etc.
• Finance and budget management – manage the budget and reporting requirements with Sports Partnership Coordinator, for all responsibility areas, ensuring accurate and up to date financial records are kept for income and expenditure.
• Conduct and present a mid-year review of all programmes, budgets and activities to Sports Partnership Coordinator and ARSC Centre Manager
• Marketing and communications – develop a comprehensive database of organisational and key contacts and prepare clear marketing and communications plans for the programmes and activities. Utilise available social media channels and prepare press releases on upcoming events and successful achievements.
• Health and safety management – promote and deliver best practice in Health and Safety management for all Hub activities
• Undertake any other relevant and related duties that may be required.
The post is a wholetime temporary contract on an initial 12-month basis subject to a probationary period of 3 months. The post will continue contingent on additional funding.
The working hours are 25 hours per week which will include weekend and evening working hours. The management of ARSC and WSP reserves the right to alter the working hours from time to time. Due to the nature of the role, you may be required to work additional hours on a time off in lieu (time for time) basis on various occasions.
All hours of work will be subject to and recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 and the Organisation of Working Time (Regulations) 2001.
The current annual leave entitlement is as per the holiday section of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 and will amount to 8% of the hours worked in the year, subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks. Granting of annual leave, payment for annual leave and arrangements for public holidays will be governed by the provisions of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1977 (as amended).
• Experience working in the sports development / community sector;
• An understanding of the community and voluntary sector and sports and recreation environment;
• Demonstrable ability to motivate and tackle local barriers to participation through targeted programmes and initiatives;
• A successful track record in building and nurturing stakeholders, key relationships and partnerships with all sectors of the community;
• Relevant Qualification in one of Sports Development, Leisure Management, Health & Fitness, Sports Science, Exercise Physiology, Leisure Studies or equivalent.
• Ability to consult, communicate and network appropriately and effectively with all sectors of the community
• Self-motivated and action oriented, with the ability to work on own initiative;
• Ability to co-ordinate and facilitate events and deliver a range of programmes and activities
• Ability to advise, inform, motivate and support individuals and organisations
• Strong administrative and organisational skills, monitor and evaluate work and write
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organise and prioritise;
• Commitment to the highest standards and outcomes;
• Flexible approach to duties and work;
• Fully proficient in Microsoft packages and Ability to prepare, monitor and manage budgets
• A constructive, positive and progressive attitude to working as part of a team and an ability to develop partnerships with the wider community
Candidates shall be in a state of health which would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
• A full clean driving license and use of personal transport for work is required.
Note: The successful candidate will be subject to Garda Vetting.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 07/04/2021