Dog owners will be delighted to hear that the works are now complete on the development of the new Dog Park along the Royal Canal Way at Newbrook, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.
The three-acre Park located between the Royal Canal and the Old Mullingar-Athlone Rail Line can be accessed from the Royal Canal and Old Rail Trail Greenways. The Park is also conveniently located beside the Old Rail Trail Car Park.
The new Dog Park is divided into two different sections to separate larger/medium-sized dogs from smaller dogs. Smaller dogs (<15kg) may only access their designated section of the Dog Park. The same principle applies to larger/medium-sized dogs (>15kg) who may also only access their particular section of the Dog Park. Owners/users must ensure that their dog remains within their designated section.
When attending the Park, users/owners are also requested to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Use of Park is at your own risk
- Close the gates upon entering and exiting
- Recognise that owners are always legally responsible for the behaviour of and controlling their own dog(s)
- Owners must be within the Dog Park and supervising their dogs with their lead(s) readily available
- Owners must ensure that their dog is under control and not causing a nuisance to other park users and/or their dog(s)
- Owners are responsible for any injury or damage caused by their dog(s)
- Users/owners must ensure that the maximum ratio of three dogs per person is not exceeded and must respect the overall park limit of a maximum of 15 dogs present in the Park at any one time
- Any children entering the Park must always be accompanied and supervised by a responsible adult
- Aggressive dogs MUST NOT be taken into the Park
- Dog vaccines must be up to date and if a dog shows any symptoms of being unwell (e.g. kennel cough or vomiting) please do not bring them to the Park
- Female dogs that are in heat must not be brought to the Dog Park
- Pronged or spiked collars are not permitted
- If instructed by an authorised officer, you must put your dog on a lead or leave the Park when asked to do so
- Users/owners are requested to clean up immediately if their dog fouls
The following breeds are NOT permitted in the Dog Park:
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Bull Mastiff
- Doberman Pinscher
- English Bull Terrier
- German Shepard (Alsatian)
- Japanese Akita
- Japanese Tosa
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
*Any crossbreeds of the above are also not permitted in the Dog Park.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 20/07/2022