Home > Our Services > Your Council > Council news

Offer a Home, Offer Hope for Ukrainian People

Do you have a house, apartment, or holiday home that’s not in use at the moment? Please consider offering it for those fleeing war in Ukraine.

Westmeath County Council is once again appealing for offers of unoccupied properties to provide temporary homes for Ukrainian people and families. The call is part of a government initiative launched in November 2022 and led by the local authorities. A tax-free recognition payment of €800 per month is available for properties used to house those fleeing the war in Ukraine. Westmeath County Council will take offers of houses, apartments, or holiday homes for temporary accommodation, liaise with owners to assess suitability, and arrange for their use by Ukrainian families. Property owners can offer homes online through the website gov.ie/offerahome or by contacting Westmeath’s dedicated email address offerahome@westmeathcoco.ie.

This is not a call for shared properties. If you have a shared property or room to offer, please contact the Irish Red Cross.

What’s involved?

Step 1

Offer your property at offerahome.ie or by contacting the local authority for your property.

Step 2

The local authority will contact you to confirm some details, discuss the process with you and answer any queries you may have.

Step 3

If you are happy to proceed, and your property is suitable, the local authority will arrange to assess the property. This is because properties must meet certain minimum standards and the assessment also helps to ensure the local authority can find the best match for the property.

Step 4

The local authority will let you know if the property meets the required standard. If the property meets the required standards, the local authority will begin work to match the property to the most suitable Ukrainian person or family in need of accommodation. If the property does not meet the required standards, the local authority will give you further information on what the issues were and how they might be addressed.

Step 5

When a suitable Ukrainian person or family has been identified and has agreed that they wish to take up the offer, the local authority will notify you and they will facilitate contact between you and the person or family. The local authority will also provide you with a template licence agreement, which you can choose to adapt or sign with the beneficiary before they move in. 


After move-in and during the stay

Throughout the arrangement, the Ukrainian Response Department in Westmeath County Council will maintain contact with you and the accommodated family and offer support if necessary.

Full information is available at gov.ie/offerahome or by contacting your local authority.

Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 21/03/2023