This important infrastructural project, which is supported under the EU Urban Designated Fund and is a major, positive redevelopment in Mullingar, has been completed to a very high quality and standard. All infrastructure associated with the Smart Traffic Lights system are now in place, lights have been commissioned and performance is being monitored and adjusted on an ongoing basis to ensure pedestrian safety and traffic flow is maximised.
This project is discussed at monthly public Mullingar Kinnegad District meetings and the latest update was on 10th February. The elected Members sought an additional meeting to voice their concerns at the operation of the traffic lights and this was held on 24th February.
The following immediate works were agreed:
1. Additional radars to be fitted to the traffic lights at the following junctions (to augment the loop detectors):
• Station Side of Green Bridge.
• Nugent’s Corner (school side).
• Mount Street
2. A yellow junction box to be provided at the Dublin – Delvin Road Junction
3. Bollards to be provided on Pearse Street (South) at end of loading bay
4. The provision of additional orbital route signage directing for “Town Centre”; “Town Centre Car Parking” and “All Other Routes” to be advanced.
5. Enforcement of illegal parking to be stepped up.
The smart lights allow detailed analysis of junction movements and travel behavioural changes. This information informs necessary amendments as above and will be used to maximise the operation of the lights on an ongoing basis.
Westmeath County Council wish to thank businesses and the wider community for their continued patience and support during this important development project.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 25/02/2020