Department of Rural and Community Development Local Improvement Scheme
Westmeath County Council is inviting applications for the Local Improvement Scheme which is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development.
The 2021 Scheme, the terms and conditions of which have been revised, enables the carrying out of improvement works on private/non-public roads.
Eligible Road Projects
Eligible road projects are those that involve the construction or improvement of non-public roads as follows:
- Road projects which provide access to parcels of land of which two or more are owned or occupied by different persons engaged in separate agricultural activities; or
- Road projects which provide access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for two or more persons; or
- Road projects which provide access to at least one parcel of land owned or occupied by a person engaged in agricultural activities AND which separately provides access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for at least one other person.
Works can also be carried out on Amenity Roads leading to important community amenities such as graveyards, beaches, piers, mountain access points or other tourist/heritage sites. Such roads may not account for more than 25% of the allocation provided to each Local Authority.
Schemes must have the consent of all affected landholders and a financial contribution of 10% and 15% of the overall cost must be paid by the applicants prior to commencement of works on any project. The maximum amount that any beneficiary is required to contribute is capped at €1,200
Non-eligible road projects
The following road projects are not eligible for funding under the Scheme:
- A road open to the public which only benefits one landowner.
- A road serving only houses or buildings occupied or used by persons not engaged in agriculture.
- A road serving only Local Authority properties.
- A road leading to bogs developed commercially for large scale turf production.
- Projects involving drainage works only.
- A road leading to commercial enterprises.
- A road involving minor works which is within the competence of the applicants to do themselves.
- A road which, because of its small size, would involve work which the Local Authority would consider as being uneconomic to carry out.
Further information and forms are also available from the Transportation Department: Tel 044 9332216 or 0449332288. The closing date for applications is the 30th of June 2021.
Local Improvement Scheme Application Form 2021
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 24/05/2021