NOTICE OF THE PREPARATION OF THE WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL
DRAFT CLIMATE ACTION PLAN 2024-2029
On display from the 6 NOVEMBER 2023
Date: 6 November 2023
Notice is hereby given that Westmeath County Council has, pursuant to Section 16 of the Climate Action and Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Act 2021, prepared a Draft Climate Action Plan 2024-2029.
The Draft Climate Action Plan sets out how the local authority can promote a range of mitigation, adaptation and other climate action measures, to help deliver on the national climate obligations and the Government’s overall National Climate Objective, which seeks to pursue and achieve, by no later than the end of 2050, the transition to a climate resilient, biodiversity rich, environmentally sustainable and climate neutral economy.
The Draft Climate Action Plan is accompanied by an Environmental Report, prepared in accordance with the European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (S.I. 435 of 2004 as amended by S.I. 200 of 2011) for Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Appropriate Assessment (AA) Natura Impact Report, pursuant to Article 6 of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC.
The Draft Climate Action Plan may be inspected from Monday 6th November to Monday 18th
December 2023 inclusive, at the following locations:
During public opening hours at:
And at any time online at https://consult.westmeathcoco.ie/browse
Drop-in clinics in respect of the Draft Climate Action Plan will be held at the following locations:
Making a Submission or Observation
Written submissions or observations regarding the Draft Climate Action Plan, SEA Environmental Report and AA Natura Impact Report may be made in one of three ways:
1. Online via Westmeath County Council Public Consultation
2. Via Email with “Draft Local Authority Climate Action Plan” in the subject line
3. In writing (marked “Draft Local Authority Climate Action Plan”) to:
Climate Action Co-Ordinator, Environment and Climate Action Department, Westmeath
County Council, Áras an Chontae, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath N91FH4N
Submissions or observations must be made in writing no later than 4pm on Monday 18 December 2023.
Late submissions will not be accepted.
Please consider the following in making your submission:
1. Please make your submission or observations by one medium only i.e. online or hard copy.
2. Submissions or observations should include your name and address and, where relevant,
details of any organisation, community group or company etc. which you represent.
3. Children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are particularly
encouraged to make submissions or observations regarding the foregoing.
4. Written submissions or observations with respect to the Draft Climate Action Plan that are
made within the period stated will be taken into consideration before the making of the
Climate Action Plan.
5. Please note LATE submissions or observations will NOT be considered. You are strongly
advised to make your submission or observation as early as possible.
6. All submissions and observations will be subject to the Data Protection Act 1988-2018, the
Environment (AIE) Regulations 2007-2018 and the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
If you require more details, please contact the Climate Action Section at 044-933 2243
or email email@example.com
Deirdre Reilly, Director of Services.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 14/11/2023