Westmeath County Council will commence a public consultation process in accordance with Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 for The Athlone Town Centre Public Realm Enhancement Works at Mardyke St, Pump Lane and returning along Sean Costello St.
The proposed design will seamlessly integrate with the enhancement scheme delivered along Church St, extending the Natural Stone Surface Treatments, Street Furniture and Public Lighting improvements along Mardyke St and Pump Lane. In addition, Sean Costello St will be pedestrianised, creating an open and inviting link between the retail areas within the town centre of Athlone. The public spaces created will be accessible and appealing to all regardless of age, ability, or disability.
The Regeneration Team in Westmeath County Council is working with McAdam Design, a multi-disciplinary consultancy to deliver this distinct element of the Athlone Town Centre Urban Regeneration and Development Project. This project will also aim to cure the dereliction and unlock the potential at the former O’Neill’s pub site.
This project is funded under Project Ireland 2040. The recent €4.13m funding allocation from the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund will enable the public realm project to advance to construction over the next two years.
• Promote important connections between the traditional retail core / street network with the two shopping centres, namely Athlone Town Centre and Golden Island Shopping Centre.
• Respond to pedestrian movements and increases footfall within the town centre.
• Set a catalyst for change for the public realm of Athlone.
• Space for planting and maximising the opportunity for biodiversity.
• Creation of a new environment for retail uses within the project area.
• Unlock the currently derelict site located at this prominent gateway into the Town Centre.
Plans and Particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection at https://consult.westmeathcoco.ie/en and can be inspected or purchased at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy at the Municipal District of Athlone-Moate by appointment only, arranged by calling (0906) 442113, (This requirement may change in line with National Covid-19 guidelines) from 9.30 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day, excluding weekends and Bank Holidays, from 29 March 2021 up to and including 27 April 2021.
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 18/03/2021