Home > Our Services > Roads, parking and transport > Applications and permits

Applications and permits

  1. Local Improvement Scheme
  2. Community Involvement Scheme
  3. Road Opening Licence
  4. Bus/Coach Stop Application
  5. Temporary Road Closure Application
  6. Temporary Roadworks Speed Limit
  7. Temporary Sign Installations
  8. Abnormal Load Application Form
  9. HGV Permit Application Form
  10. Roads and Services in Charge
  11. Licence for Advertisement Sign on Public Road

Local Improvement Scheme - This Scheme is now OPEN for applications  

Department of Rural and Community Development Local Improvement Scheme.

Westmeath County Council is inviting applications for the Local Improvement Scheme (LIS Scheme) which is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development.

The LIS Scheme enables the carrying out of improvement works on private/non-public roads.

Eligible road projects are those that involve the construction or improvement of non-public roads as follows:

  • Road projects which provide access to parcels of land of which two or more are owned or occupied by different persons engaged in separate agricultural activities; or
  • Road projects which provide access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for two or more persons; or
  • Road projects which provide access to at least one parcel of land owned or occupied by a person engaged in agricultural activities AND which separately provides access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for at least one other person.

Works can also be carried out on Amenity Roads leading to important community amenities such as graveyards, beaches, piers, mountain access points or other tourist/heritage sites. Such roads may not account for more than 25% of the allocation provided to each Local Authority.

Schemes must have the consent of all affected landholders and a financial contribution of between 10% and 15% of the overall cost must be paid by the applicants prior to commencement of works on any project. The maximum amount that any beneficiary is required to contribute is capped at €1,200.

Non-eligible road projects

The following road projects are not eligible for funding:

  • A road open to the public which only benefits one landowner.
  • A road serving only houses or buildings occupied or used by persons not engaged in agriculture.
  • A road serving only Local Authority properties.
  • A road leading to bogs developed commercially for large scale turf production.
  • Projects involving drainage works only.
  • A road leading to commercial enterprises.
  • A road involving minor works which is within the competence of the applicants to do themselves.
  • A road which, because of its small size, would involve work which the Local Authority would consider as being uneconomic to carry out.


Application forms are available from the Transportation Department: Tel 044 9332216 or 044/9332288. Email roads@westmeathcoco.ie

 The closing date for submission of applications is March 1st, 2024.

Community Involvement Scheme

Expressions of Interest

The Department of Transport provides funding nationally towards this scheme to encourage local communities to get involved in the restoration and maintenance of local public roads and footpaths. Local authorities do not have the funds to carry out desirable maintenance works to all roads in their charge. The purpose of this initiative is to maximise the resources available for local road maintenance and is subject to a local community contribution of a minimum of 10% of the works costs.

Westmeath County Council invites expressions of interest from local communities who are interested in availing of this scheme.

Schemes will be assessed for inclusion in a programme of works for completion during 2023/2024/2025, subject to the provision of funding and scheme conditions.

Further information

Prior to applying it is advised to contact your local Municipal District Office to discuss eligibility and suitability of proposed schemes.

Mullingar Kinnegad Municipal District Tel: 044 933 2021 Email csmullingar@westmeathcoco.ie

Athlone Moate Municipal District Tel: 09064 42100 Email athlonemunicipaldistrict@westmeathcoco.ie


How to apply

The application form including further information and terms and conditions for this scheme may be downloaded from our website at the links below:


Completed forms should be returned by post to: Transportation Section, Áras an Chontae, County Buildings, Mullingar, County Westmeath N91 FH4N Or,

you may send by email to:  roads@westmeathcoco.ie with the subject title "Community Involvement Scheme Application".

Road Opening Licence

Note An application for a Road Opening Licence must be made via the Maproad Roadworks Licensing System. This System is facilitated and supported by the Road Management Office.  All applicants must register in advance through the RMO and must submit evidence of compliant Insurances in the required format. You can register as a new Applicant here, and user queries can be directed to support@mrl.jitbit.com

Details of charges for Road Opening Licences are available on the RMO website which are broken down by Authority. See attached link: http://www.rmo.ie/road-licensing-charges.html 

Bus/Coach Stop Application

Application Form to use Bus/Coach Stop Bus Stopping Place - Application Form 2021

For the use of an existing bus stopping place please reference existing bus stop number ( Association of Transport Coordination Officers Code) and location by accessing the list of current locations via the link below.

Bus Stop Location Map click link

Temporary Road Closure

For approval to temporarily close a public road to traffic

Temporary Roadworks Speed Limit

Application form for Temporary Roadworks Speed Limit

Temporary Sign Installations

Application for the erection of temporary signage

Abnormal Load Application Form (Including dump truck and off-road vehicles)

For approval to transport an abnormal load on a public road such as a large indivisible load which exceeding legal limits or exceeding legal gross weight limits.  PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION - APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT RECEIPT NUMBER.   THE ATTACHED APPLICATION FORM MUST BE USED. Abnormal Load Application Form 2021

HGV Permit Application Form

Where it is proposed to use a vehicle with 5 axles or more on a road which has restrictions in place for such vehicles, a permit must be obtained from the relevant local authority.  Find form attached here HGV Permit Application Form

Roads and Services in Charge

How to get confirmation that Roads & Services are/are not in charge. How do I get confirmation that Roads & Services are, or are not, in the Charge of Westmeath County Council?

All requests for confirmation that Roads and Services are, or are not, in the Charge of Westmeath County Council must be formally made in writing to the relevant Municipal District of Westmeath County Council – see contact information below.

This correspondence should be accompanied by a clearly marked site location map and the €70 administration fee.

All cheques, bankers orders, postal orders, etc., should be drawn in favour of Westmeath County Council.

Mullingar Municipal District : Áras An Chontae, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath, N91 FH4N Telephone: 044 9332021 email csmullingar@westmeathcoco.ie

Athlone Municipal District : Civic Centre, Church Street, Athlone, N37 P2T5 Telephone: 09064 42100 email athlonemunicipaldistrict@westmeathcoco.ie

Licence for Advertisement Sign on Public Road