Home > Our Services > Environment > Waste prevention, recycling & collection > Recycling at home

Recycling at home

New website launched to help you manage your waste:

mywaste.ie is a new website and is Ireland’s official guide to managing your waste. Here you will find everything you need to know about how to manage your waste responsibly and efficiently. Browse the site for local waste services, recycling facilities, information on preventing, reusing and disposing of waste, see www.mywaste.ie.

Do you use a bin collection service in Westmeath?

If so then you’ll need to know that Bin Tags are no longer acceptable because Household Waste Collectors are obliged by law to move to an incentivised payment scheme.

This means that you must arrange an agreed payment plan with your Waste Collector to have your household waste collected.

If you have purchased tags that will not be used by 1st March 2018, you should contact your Waste Collector to arrange a credit to be placed on your account.

All waste collectors are required to provide a brown bin for food/organic waste in localities with a population greater than 500 people. This will help you divert waste from your black bin and reduce your costs as the brown bin is cheaper.

Contact your Waste Collector today and plan to save on your waste disposal and protect the environment.

Bin Tag & Brown Bin info

Back to Basics - Use your Brown Bin

Attached is a list of items which can be put in your Brown Bin.

Back to Basics

Know your Waste - Reduce your Costs

See leaflet below for useful tips on lowering your waste bill.

Know your Waste - Reduce your Costs (768kB)

Waste Collection System

The household waste collection system operating in the County is:

  • Blue Bin - Mixed Dry Recyclables 
  • Black Bin - Residual Waste
  • The Brown Bin  - bio waste i.e. food and garden waste.   For more information see Brown Bin 

Tax Relief on Bin Charges -see Revenue

Household Food Waste: - Brown Bin Service

The Household Food Waste & Bio Waste Regulations 2013 were signed into law by the Minister of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Phil Hogan, on 21st February 2013.

These regulations impose obligations on collectors of waste to provide a separate collection service for household waste and on householders to segregate household food waste and keep it separate from other non-biodegradable waste.

These regulations were introduced as Ireland has objectives under the Landfill Directive 99/31/EC to divert biodegradable waste away from landfills.  Failure to meet our targets will result in stiff penalties from the European Union.  The introduction of the regulations in addition to the 2009 Commercial Food Waste Regulations will help meet these targets.

The Regulations are being phased in over the following timetable:

Date Agglomeration size Town/village
31 Dec 2013 >20,000 Athlone & Mullingar
1 Jul 2015 >1,500 Moate, Kinnegad
1 Jul 2016 >500 All other towns/villages including: Rochfortbridge, Tyrrellspass,Killucan-Rathwire, Kilbeggan,Delvin,Clonmellon,Castlepollard

If you live in any of the above areas you must segregate your food waste and keep it separate from other waste streams.

All authorised collectors must from 31 Dec 2013 provide a separate collection service for food waste and transfer the food waste to an authorised facility for treatment.

What must I do with my food waste?

Once you have segregated your food waste you must either:

  • Present it in your brown bin for collection by an authorised collector
  • Subject the food waste to a home composting process on your premises
  • Bring the food waste to an authorised facility.

You must not deposit food in the residual/black bin.

What can I put in my brown bin?

  • Food scraps/out of date foods
  • Tea bags/coffee grinds
  • Fruit/vegetables
  • Meat/fish/poultry and bones
  • Bread/cakes/biscuits
  • Soups/sauces/eggs/dairy
  • Paper towels/napkins/filters
  • Cut flowers/plant trimmings/leaves/grass clippings/old plants/moss/weeds (which have not been sprayed with weed killer)

For more info: Brown Bin

Download It 

Apply For It