The TVRS is designed to support the revitalisation of rural Ireland through a renewed focus on town centre economic and social recovery and regeneration. This will be achieved through projects focusing on town centre regeneration, enhancing our Streetscapes and bringing vacant and derelict buildings back into use as community multi-purpose spaces through refurbishment and renovation.
In 2023 the scheme also included a focus on Town or Village Centre Markets (e.g. Farmers Markets, Open-Air Markets, Local Trader Markets, Artisan Markets or similar) in alignment with the Programme for Government.
This was to be achieved through the provision of infrastructure to support the facilitation of these outdoor markets (e.g. public realm works, service provisions, canopies etc.). The tourism potential of such markets has gained recognition from regional experiences for tourists; and regional promotions and branding as a tourist attraction in towns and villages. Markets must be built on ethical and sustainability principles to ensure longevity and must be developed with high visibility and improved public realm which will attract a high level of footfall.
The Scheme is administered through local authorities, who work closely with local communities and businesses to develop place-based proposals that can make a lasting impact in revitalising rural towns and villages across the country.
The 2023 Scheme was designed to support the revitalisation of rural Ireland through a renewed focus on town centre regeneration and enhancing economic and social vibrancy in line with the Town Centre First policy.
This was to be achieved through:
- Town Regeneration projects
- Enhancing our streetscapes
- Green spaces / recreational amenities in town or village centres
- Refurbishment of existing community centres
- A new option to allow local authorities to acquire plots of land to enable development of town
- regeneration, such as town parks, plazas, etc.
- Bringing vacant and derelict buildings/ back into use as multi-purpose or community spaces
- Projects to support town or village centre markets, e.g. farmers markets or artisan markets.
- Town/village centre plaza development