What is Comhairle na nOg?
- Comhairle na nÓg are local youth councils, which give children and young people the opportunity to be involved in the development of local services and policies.
- There is a Comhairle na nÓg in every city and county. Comhairle na nÓg were set up in the 34 City and County Development Boards around the country
- Comhairli fulfil Goal 1 of the National Children’s Strategy (2000), which states ‘Children will have a voice in matters which affect them and their views will be given due weight in accordance with their age and maturity’.
- The work of Comhairle na nÓg is the responsibility of the local authority in each city and county and is part-funded by the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (OMCYA).
What do Comhairli do?
Comhairli normally have a ‘life-cycle’ or a typical set of activities that take place through the year including:
- An Autumn AGM at which Comhairle members are elected and at which young people in the county/city discuss issues, the work of comhairle and identify actions for the Comhairle to work on
- Team building and development of youth-led committee structures and roles within the comhairle
- The development of a workplan and identification of key actions/changes that they would like to effect in policy/services in the county or city
- A number of campaigning events, meetings with decision-makers, inputs into policy and decision-making fora in order to address the actions/changes identified in the workplan
- Preparation and attendance at Dail na nÓg (the National Youth Parliament)
Actions carried out to date include
- Development of an alcohol awareness leaflet adopted for the CSPE curriculum nationally
- Development of a Youth Café Plan and application for Dormant accounts
- Presentations and consultation with Garda Siochana
- Developed an agreement for lower costs tickets to cinema
- Research into bullying
- Planning of AGM for 2018
- Launch of the anti bullying awareness DVD
Please see below the attached link to the National Comhairle na Og website for updates on ongoing projects in County Westmeath:
Winners of the pride of place award
Westmeath Comhairle na nOg who won the Westmeath Pride of Place awards and who will represent the county in the National All-Island Pride of Place 2015 competition, where Westmeath have enjoyed great successes over the past three consecutive years.
Comhairle na nOg (3,017kB)