The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport is providing a fund of €10m nationally towards this scheme to encourage local communities to get involved in the restoration and maintenance of local public roads.
Westmeath County Council invites expressions of interest from local communities who are interested in availing of this scheme.
What is the Community Involvement Scheme?
This scheme encourages a joint approach (on a voluntary basis) with groups of local residents and landowners for the restoration of public roads that are lightly trafficked, single lane or cul de sac roads and may also link two local primary roads or two local secondary roads.
The following requirements will apply to the Community Involvement Scheme:
- The Council will assess the condition of any local public roads, for which they intend to apply for funding, using the Paving Rating Manual (rating range is 1 to 10 with 1 being very poor and 10 being excellent).
- The Council will record the length, width, number of farms and dwellings along the roads under consideration.
- The Council will estimate the overall cost of each scheme taking account of material, labour, machinery and traffic management costs. The community contribution in each case will be 15% of the overall costs.
- Taking into account the findings of points a) to c), the Council will prioritise the roads which are eligible under the “2018 Community Involvement Scheme” and apply to the Department for funding.
- The Council will only make an application to the Department for funding in cases where the local contribution is monetary only – no works are to be undertaken by the local community. This is due to Health and Safety considerations, Traffic Management, Insurances etc.
- Applicants must agree to pay the monetary contribution as required by the appropriate time period as defined by Westmeath County Council.
- Applicants must hereby appoint and delegate full power a nominated individual to act for them in all correspondence and other business arising out of this application and agree to be bound by their nominee’s correspondence and acts.
How to apply
The application form for this scheme may be downloaded here: Community Involvement Scheme Application Form 2018
Applications forms are also available from your local district office:
Mullingar Municipal District
Áras An Chontae
N91 FH4N Telephone: 044-9332000
Athlone Municipal District
N37 P2T5 Telephone: 09064 42100
The closing date for applications is the 16th of March 2018.
Completed forms should be returned by post to the Transportation Section, Westmeath County Council, County Buildings, Mullingar, County Westmeath N91 FH4N
Or, you can email it to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title Local Improvement Scheme Application
Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 07/09/2018