Tips for Driving in Snow & Ice
(see related files below for gritting maps)
- Remember that it takes longer to stop in icy conditions than on a dry road. Therefore drive slowly and allow extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin. Select a low gear when travelling downhill especially if through bends.
- Manoeuvre gently, avoid harsh braking and acceleration.
- Watch out for black ice, especially in sheltered/shaded areas on roads, under trees and adjacent to high walls.
- Check tyres to ensure minimum tread depth of 1.6mm and correct tyre pressure
- Drive with dipped headlights on
- Use fog lights in foggy conditions. But don’t forget to turn them off afterwards.
For further advise visit the Be Winter Ready website.