The Westmeath Heritage Plan 2018-2023 was adopted by the Elected Members on 23rd July 2018 and launched on 14th September 2018. The Heritage Plan is a working document that sets out clear objectives and practical actions to ensure the preservation, protection, promotion and enjoyment of our unique heritage in a sustainable manner over the life of the plan.
Hard Copies of the Plan are available from the Heritage Office
an Irish language version of the Heritage Plan 2018-2023 is available to download:
PLEAN OIDHREACHTA CHONTAE na hIARMHÍ 2018-2023
Review of Westmeath Biodiversity Action Plan 2014-2020
Consultation on Draft Westmeath Heritage Plan 2024-2030
A new Heritage Plan is being prepared for Westmeath. The Plan will set out a framework for the work of Westmeath County Council Heritage Office, in partnership with groups and agencies, to deliver heritage projects within the County.
The Westmeath Heritage Plan 2024-2030 will be the fourth Heritage Plan for Westmeath. It aims to build on the achievements of the previous plans and is written in the context of the national Heritage Plan, Heritage Ireland 2030, and the Heritage Council Strategic Plan 2023- 2028 ‘Our Place in Time’.
Review of the Westmeath Heritage Plan 2018–2023
Progress has been made on implementing most of the actions of the Heritage Plan and many actions are on-going. Examples of projects that have been carried out to date include;
- Management of Invasive Alien Species at Belvedere House, Gardens and Park
- Audit of Geological Heritage sites in Westmeath
- Swift Survey
- Barn Owl Survey & Conservation Measures
- Wetlands Survey (desktop and field survey)
- Survey of Industrial Heritage
- Training in best practice management and recording of historic graveyards
- Conservation works to Athlone Town Wall; The Old Gaol in Fore; Kilbixy Leper Hospital, Killefree Church in Castlepollard and St Owen’s Church in Ballymore
- Conservation Plans have been prepared for Court Devenish House in Athlone, St Feichin’s Bath and Mill, Fore; Killare Church and graveyard, Templecross Church, Griffinstown Church and Graveyard
- Draft Conservation Management Plans have been prepared for Belvedere House Gardens and Park and the Hill of Uisneach
- Digital Interpretation of the Bronze Age Trackway in Mayne
- Lidar Survey of Hill of Uisneach
- Training in Oral History & An audit of Oral Heritage Recordings
- Westmeath Field Names Recording Project
*A full review of the Actions of Westmeath Heritage Plan 2018-2023 and links to related project reports is provided in Appendix 2 of the Draft Westmeath Heritage Plan 2024-2030
The consultation period on the Draft Westmeath Heritage Plan 2024-2030 runs from 25th July - 15th September 2023
When making a submission please state what group (if any) you represent.
Submissions can be made via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or post to; The Heritage Office, Áras an Chontae, Mullingar, Co Westmeath
If you would like would like more information on the process please email email@example.com