Pay by Weight - 1st July 2016

From 1st July, household waste charges are changing.  Pay by Weight - 1st July 2016


Know your Waste - Reduce your Costs.

See leaflet below for useful tips on lowering your waste bill.

Know your Waste - Reduce your Costs


Pay by Weight - Frequently Asked Questions. 

Waste companies currently charge for collecting waste in different ways including flat fee, pay per tag and Pay by Weight.   On July 1st 2016 all charging arrangements for household waste will be on a Pay by Weight basis.  Please see attached frequently asked questions on the introduction of this new system.

Pay by Weight - Frequently Asked Questions








Waste Collection

Waste Collection System

The household waste collection system operating in the County is:

Tax Relief on Bin Charges -see

Household Food Waste: - Brown Bin Service

The Household Food Waste & Bio Waste Regulations 2013 were signed into law by the Minister of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Phil Hogan, on 21st February 2013.

These regulations impose obligations on collectors of waste to provide a separate collection service for household waste and on householders to segregate household food waste and keep it separate from other non-biodegradable waste.

Why are these regulations being introduced?

Ireland has objectives under the Landfill Directive 99/31/EC to divert biodegradable waste away from landfills; by 2016 we must have reduced our biodegradable waste to landfill to 35% of the biodegradable municipal waste produced in 1995.  Failure to meet our targets will result in stiff penalties from the European Union.  The introduction of the regulations as well as the 2009 Commercial Food Waste Regulations will help meet these targets.


What areas are being affected?

The Regulations are being phased in over the following timetable:

Date                Agglomeration size         Town/village

31 Dec 2013    >20,000                          Athlone & Mullingar

1   Jul 2015      >  1,500                         Moate, Kinnegad,

1   Jul 2016      >     500                         All other towns/villages including: Rochfortbridge, Tyrrellspass,Killucan-Rathwire,   Kilbeggan,Delvin,Clonmellon,Castlepollard

If you live in an area of population 20,000 or over ie. Athlone & Mullingar, from 31 Dec 2013 you must segregate your food waste and keep it separate from other waste streams.


What does this mean for collectors of waste?

All authorised collectors must from 31 Dec 2013 provide a separate collection service for food waste and transfer the food waste to an authorised facility for treatment.


What must I do with my food waste?

Once you have segregated your food waste you must either:

  • Present it in your brown bin for collection by an authorised collector
  • Subject the food waste to a home composting process on your premises
  • Bring the food waste to an authorised facility.

You must not:

Deposit food in the residual/black bin.


What can I put in my brown bin?

  • Food scraps/out of date foods
  • Tea bags/coffee grinds
  • Fruit/vegetables
  • Meat/fish/poultry and bones
  • Bread/cakes/biscuits
  • Soups/sauces/eggs/dairy
  • Paper towels/napkins/filters
  • Cut flowers/plant trimmings/leaves/grass clippings/old plants/moss/weeds (which have not been sprayed with weed killer)

Brown Bin Leaflet

Brown Bin Leaflet

For more information see:‌

Download It

Apply For It

Back To Top