The Derelict Sites Act requires that the owner and occupier of land ensure that the land or structures do not become or do not continue to be a derelict site.
The Act defines a Derelict Site as any land which detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of;
- structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or
- the neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or structures, or
- the presence, deposit or collection of litter, rubbish, debris or waste.
The Act imposes duties on the Local Authority to:
- Maintain a Derelict Sites Register.
- Make the Register available for public inspection.
- Serve a Notice on the owner/occupier specifying works to be carried out to prevent or stop dereliction.
- Acquire by agreement or compulsorily any derelict site.
- Impose an annual levy on any derelict site in an urban area, based on 3% of its valuation.
Reports of dereliction are investigated, the ownership is established and the owner is written to. If you have a query relating to a Derelict site please contact the relevant Municipal District. Athlone Municipal District: 090 644 2150; Mullingar Municipal District: 044 933 2021. A copy of the Derelict Sites Register is available to view at the Council Offices.
Report a derelict site