County Development Board
Westmeath County Development Board (CDB) was one of 34 County/City Development Boards established in year 2000, as a Government response to the challenge of better integration of public and local service delivery. Membership of the CDB comprises representatives from the four key sectors of local government, local development, the social partners and state agencies and a key aim of the board is to bring about the more co-ordinated delivery of public and local development services at local level.
At the outset, one of the core functions of the Board was to draw up and oversee the implementation of an agreed strategy for the development of Westmeath which resulted in the publication in March 2002 of “Bringing Quality to Life” the Strategy for the Economic, Social and Cultural Development of County Westmeath 2002 – 2012. This “Shared Vision” set out the Board’s view of how Westmeath could develop economically, socially and culturally over the ten-year period of the strategy and set out the several actions necessary to achieve this vision.
- The ‘Shared Vision’ set out the type of place Westmeath should be in the year 2012 – i.e.
- A county that people are proud to live and work in.
- A county with a clear and positive image, which celebrates its history and culture.
- A county where the quality of the natural environment is paramount.
- A county where all people enjoy a high quality of life. county where education is valued and is available to all people throughout their lives.
- A county with a wide range of industry and employment opportunities.
- A county with infrastructure to meet the needs of our current and future generations.
- A county that has vibrant rural communities and economy.
- A county where people are included and have a say in matters that affect them.
- A county where all people have access to community and recreation services
- A county that takes a positive and proactive approach to planning for the future.
- A county where all people feel welcome.
Westmeath County Development Board has strong links with the community and voluntary sector through the Westmeath Community and Voluntary Forum at area and county level. The purpose of the Community & Voluntary Forum is to facilitate the representation of and participation by community and voluntary groups in matters relating to Westmeath County Development Board and Westmeath County Council, and to enable the Community & Voluntary Sector to fulfil its role as a Social Partner at local level. Other agencies represented on Westmeath County Development Board are encouraged to work through the Community & Voluntary Forum and to consult with them in matters relevant to their own area of interest or responsibility.
Further information can be found on the national County Development Board website http://www.cdb.ie
Background to the establishment of Westmeath County Development Board.
View the proposed meeting schedule of the County Development Board for 2010.
The Forum provides for a 2-way exchange of information between the CDB, Council committees and the Community & Voluntary Sector.
Details of the Westmeath County Development Board members.