The report on local government - Putting People First – An Action Programme for Effective Local Government – Oct 2012, - envisaged a range of reforms including an enhanced role for local government in community development. This enhanced role for the Council in community development was provided for in the Local Government Reform Act 2014 which was enacted on 1st June 2014 and included for the establishment of Local Community Development Committees. Regulations and Guidance have also being issued by the DECLG in respect of these LCDC’s. The Westmeath LCDC was formally established on 30th June 2014.
Membership of Westmeath LCDC
The membership of the LCDC and the mechanism for selecting these members is prescribed in the legislation and guidance. This membership comprises of a range of statutory and non-statutory socio-economic partners drawn from the Councils administrative area. The LCDC membership is constituted so as to ensure an appropriate representational balance between public and private interests, while also facilitating an appropriate mix across the broad range of sectors across the county.
Westmeath LCDC has 17 members (8 statutory members and 9 non-statutory members), membership details for 2023 are outlined below:
Cllr. Tom Farrell - Westmeath County Council Elected Member
Cllr. Vincent McCormack -Westmeath County Council Elected Member
Cllr. Bill Collintine - Westmeath County Council Elected Member
Mr. Pat Gallagher - Westmeath County Council Chief Executive (Vice-chairperson of Westmeath LCDC)
Ms. Christine Charlton - Head of Local Enterprise Office
Ms. Marie Flynn - Dept of Social Protection
Ms. Maria Fox - Education and Training Board
Ms. Teresa Kennedy - Health Service Executive
NON - STATUTORY MEMBERS
Mr. Vincent Bagnall - PPN Community & Voluntary Rep.
Mr. Hugh Farrell - PPN Community & Voluntary Rep.
Ms. Margaret Kiernan- PPN Social Inclusion Rep.
Mr. Joe McEvoy - PPN Environmental Rep.
Ms. Cathryn Whelehan - PPN Social Inclusion Rep. (Chairperson of Westmeath LCDC)
Mr. Frank Murtagh - Westmeath Community Development Ltd.
Ms. Bernie McCarthy - Farming/ Agriculture
Ms. Aisling Coleman - Business/ Employers
Mr. Noel Maguire - Trade Union
Contact for LCDC
The Chief Officer for Westmeath LCDC is:
Pat Murtagh, Senior Executive Officer , Community Development & Corporate Services, Westmeath County Council, Aras an Chontae, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.
Tel: (044) 9332194
The LCDC is a committee of the Council and its primary role is to develop, co-ordinate and implement a coherent and integrated approach to local and community development. The primary work of the LCDC to date has been in advancing the following initiatives:
Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP)
Rural Development Programme
For Further Information:http://www.environ.ie
In 2021, Westmeath LCDC worked on a variety of different programmes. Some of which are outlined below:
In 2021, LCDC members
• Approved funding for 8 LEADER projects to the value of €471,331.90
• Approved Leader Annual Report 2020
• Approved Leader Implementation Plan 2021
• Approved Leader Transitional Programme Policy document
• Approved Leader EURI Programme Policy Document.
In 2021, LCDC members
• Adopted SICAP 2020 Annual Performance Review Report
• Adopted Sicap Annual Plan for 2021
• Approved SICAP Programme Extension Addendum
• Approved SICAP Funding Carry Over Spend Proposal.
COVID 19 Emergency Funding
• LCDC members approved 162 groups/ applicants for funding under this scheme. The total fund distributed throughout the county was €46,854.
Community Enhancement Programme
• In 2021, The LCDC Committee approved funding to the value of €135, 773.25 under the Community Enhancement Programme. This was allocated to 174 groups/ applicants within the county.
Healthy Ireland - Healthy Westmeath Addendum
• The LCDC approved the addendum to accept an additional funding amount of €29,167 to extend the post of project co-ordinator to the end of Dec 2021 and also to extend the lifetime of the programme funding to Dec 2021.
Community Activities Programme
The Community Activities Fund (CAF) provides funding to support community groups across Ireland. The CAF is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development and administered by the Local Community Development Committees (LCDCs) in each Local Authority area. Westmeath County Council have been allocated funds of €273,141.
This total amount comprises:
• €166,920 Current funding (Non-Pay) for use towards running/operating costs
• €106,222 Capital funding for use towards carrying out necessary repairs and improvements to facilities, energy efficiency type projects, purchase of equipment etc.
The application process is now open and the LCDC will allocate the funding early in 2022.
In general the LCDC meets every 2 months and the business of the meeting is transacted in accordance with adopted Standing Orders:
Meeting Minutes Can be viewed Here