View a full-screen map of the Royal Canal Greenway route
There is also a downloadable version of the Royal Canal Greenway Brochure (9,358kB) which includes a route map.
Route Grading & Suitability Rating
Route is rated as ‘Easy’ and suitable for ‘Infrequent Cyclists’. However, for those who might be intending to cycle the route with children, please be aware that there are drops off the route both into the canal and sometimes off steep embankments.
Recommended Access Points
There are several access points to the Westmeath Royal Canal Greenway from various public roads. The access points are listed below and shown on the map, some of which will have parking facilities and amenities.
|Location||Distance from Meath Border|
||D’Arcy’s Bridge, Hyde Park, Killucan
||Riverstown Bridge, Killucan Station
||Footy’s Bridge, Porterstown, Killucan
||McKnead’s Bridge, Coralstown
||The Downs Bridge (Mullingar Pewter), The Downs
||Baltrasna Bridge, Marlinstown, Mullingar
||Piper’s Boreen, Millmount, Mullingar
||Dublin Bridge, Mullingar
||Harbour Bridge, Harbour St., Mullingar
||Green Bridge, Dominick St., Mullingar
||Kilpatrick Bridge, Kilpatrick, Mullingar
Belmount Bridge, Belmount, Mullingar
||Ballinea Bridge, Ballinea, Mullingar
||Shandonagh Bridge, Shandonagh, Mullingar
||Coolnahay Harbour, Coolnahay
||Ballynacargy Bridge & Harbour
Mullingar to Coolnahay Harbour (10.5km)
Mullingar to Thomastown Bridge (17.8km)
Coolnahay to Meath Boundary (32.3km)
Coolnahay to Longford Boundary (14.4km)
Use of the Greenway
The Westmeath Royal Canal Greenway is there for your enjoyment and we hope that you take some time out to enjoy a walk or cycle along some or all of the route. The following are a few guidelines to consider when using the greenway...
- Do not enter adjoining farmland
- Respect the habitat that is the Greenway and its flora & fauna
- Do not litter the trail – take home your litter
- Keep Dogs on leads (scoop the poop)
- Cyclists should wear a helmet
- High-viz jacket/top is recommended - “be safe be seen”
- Take special care at junctions
- Cyclists should give clear hand signals and use bell.
- Walkers be aware that cyclists may be approaching from behind.
- In case of emergency dial 999 or Mullingar Garda Station (044) 9384000
Westmeath Royal Canal Greenway employs the Leave No Trace Principles – http://www.leavenotraceireland.org/